Monday, August 23, 2010

my retraction...of sorts.

have you ever said something and immediately worried that the sounds that just came from your mouth were not what you meant them to be...as if there was a serious disconnect between what was happening in your brain and what your mouth decided to say? well...that's how i feel about my post yesterday.

i read and re-read that sucker all day....and it just isn't right.

the truth is, i am horrible at starting new things...and am equally bad at ending old things. believe me, my prayer for myself tonight is that i can get over my own self and enjoy the blessing of being home...and after today, i am excited!

it was a wonderful day filled with ordinary activities. but not once did i check my phone for a phone call from work. never did my mind wonder to the tasks that would face me at the office...rather, i just enjoyed my family.

i remembered, today, that my job right now is caring for my babies. just loving them through their new adventures. with sophie starting kindergarten and ellee beginning preschool, they have plenty on their plates...and i refuse to let my own discomfort with transition affect them and how they face their own changes. an important realization, wouldn't you say?

what made the difference for me today? well, i just decided to have fun. and i'm planning to do the same tomorrow. i really just enjoyed my kids today...nothing fancy. finding those sweet moments in a mundane day was...true joy.

here's a couple of the random things i did today, on my first day as a full time mom:
1. woke up at 6:00am to feed my hungry baby....but when she was all fed at 6:30 and no other small people were awake...i went BACK to bed. freaking awesome.

2. i cut casey's hair...not well...but i did it. he's such a stud, he can pull off a bad haircut.

3. we went to visit auntie ramey, uncle brian and gma tammy! and they even volunteered to watch the crew while i went clothes shopping to stock up on school duds for soph! kid-free shopping? yes, please.

4. i chilled with matt in the afternoon. nice.

5. we packed up and headed to gma and gpa whalen's house for a farewell party for kevin (back to cali for my lil' bro)...all the whalens under one roof...that had been a long time coming (and we even got pictures to prove it!)

6. i put my sweet my sweet faced little ones to bed...and i said 'i can't wait to spend the day with you tomorrow' and they smiled. and drifted off to dreamland.

7. i picked up my house. some things never change.

8. i made lunch for the love of my life...and i even prepped the trash for him so that his morning routine would be a lil' easier. ahhh....

9. i blogged. (see, i blogged)

no ordinary work day has been better than this ordinary day at home...i count myself lucky. and tonight, i would rather be lucky than employed.

No comments: