Wednesday, January 14, 2009

ohhhh....i'm hit

Last night, Sophie had a rough stretch. Can’t believe it? I know, I know – I hear it all the time. ‘She’s just to sweet/beautiful/cute/smart/fill-in-the-blank to be naughty!’ I think it’s an adoption thing – maybe people feel something for her in that sense….I don’t know. What I do know is that it happens ALL the time!! I try and explain that although she is great, she is still 3! Although I adore my little girl more than any other 3 year old child ever, I am privy to her tired times, her bored moments and her curious spells. This trifecta often can lead to a scenario like last night…here is how it played out….enjoy...

Picture Sophie and Ellee nicely playing in the kitchen – letters on the fridge – you know the drill. I survey the room for knives, hot coffee and rabies-ridden wild animals before walking around the corner to call my mom – seriously, there is not even a wall between these rooms we’re talking about. So I’m talking to my mom when Ellee comes in, crying and she snuggles up to me and says ‘ouch, Sophie kicked me.’

I hung up with Tammer (mom) and called Sophie in the room and she trotted in as if she were a dancer entering stage left. I asked her if she kicked Ellee – no. Did you kick Ellee? Again, no. Sophie, did you kick Ellee? Again, no…but this time a pause before the immediate answer. As if I were a detective, I sense the weakness. I hone in on some brown residue on the side of her lip. Sophie, what did you eat? (she always eating stuff!) Nothing. Again, Sophie what did you eat. Nothing. Come here – let me smell your breath. She blew right at my face and instantly I smell the sweet fragrance of a crutch I hold so dear – chocolate. I remembered that I had put three pieces of dove chocolate in a drawer in the kitchen.

When I got up to look, I worked out the scenario in my mind….Sophie found the chocolate in the drawer and ate it once I left the room. In a futile attempt to get ‘in on dat’ Ellee was kicked by Sophie in what I can only imagine as a brutal turf war. Ellee cried, and then tattled. Sophie then lied to me on two counts 1) kicking little sister 2) eating stolen chocolate. When I confronted her she reacted in way that only a tired and all together spent three year old can do. She first screamed, second punched me in the stomach (a kid-style wild hit – nothing intentionally violent – no worries!) and third collapsed to the ground screaming.

Sophie went to bed early last night.

Last night was like any other. Someone usually gets upset, someone always cries but in the end, we always tell each child how much we love them – we tell them like we mean it – not just as a quick aside, but as a conversation about how blessed we are by them. Sophie is, of course, no exception. She has a sweet spirit and a quick wit and I adore her – even though she has a mean left hook.