Wednesday, June 9, 2010

congratualtions to all the crazies out there!

when my alarm blared in my ear at 6am this morning, my first thought was about how tired i was. that thought prompted me to count up the number of hours before i would find myself back in this warm and cozy place that i was being hurled out of...the number was 18. puke. i then lay there in my 5 minute snooze and thought quickly about what would be required of me throughout the 18 hours that faced me.

as the list grew, i thought to myself 'only crazy people live like me.' as i began to seriously consider the possibility that i am a real live crazy person, my snooze went off and it was time to get up...for real this time.

a cup of coffee and my morning 'shannon-time' dulled the drama, but even now i am shocked i would participate in such a masochistic (that's only a fancy word for crazy-like, can i get an amen?) act. as a mother, i find it overwhelming to think about all the tasks that fill up any one day. it's too much. the good news...busy days are like folding laundry...the pile looks HUGE in the basket, but once you find your groove, it goes pretty fast. (and just like laundry, i am good at getting about half of my day's tasks done before i run out of time and begin piling things in baskets and shoving them into corners.)

my point though, is that in my thinking through the tasks i was to accomplish today, i realized that millions of moms around the world were waking up to face the same reality...with that, i felt connected to a larger community of moms...a sisterhood if you will.

i am a mom who is overworked, over-tired, and over-extended. but what mom isn't? (ok ok, i know a mom or two who seem to have it all together, but i think one of two things is true. 1) they are liars or 2) they are liars.) once again i realize i am not alone in my reality. my story has been told a million times over and that is awesome.

soooo...here are my kudos to all the moms out there. to the ones who came before me, to the ones who battle with me, and to the ones who still don't know how to get baby vomit out of wool - congratulations! you are awesome!

congrats to all you laundry doers, you breast-feeders, you meal makers. take a bow all of you time-out givers, job working, hug granting great ones. i admire you and i appreciate you. we are in this together...and our work is wicked hard. (and also wicked awesome, but that's not really what this post is about now, is it?)

in a day when you know that the span of things you must accomplish range from sitting in a business meeting to wiping the rear end of a small person, i say to you, YOU ARE AMAZING. no one can compare to you. you are a mother and your life is full. full and crazy. but in my book, crazy goes a long way.

2 comments:

andrew,betsy,& noura said...

is it crazy i felt a little empowered after reading this?:)

Katie said...

Thanks Shannon! Bravo to you too! Today I think i might rank right up there as the best time-out giver out there... I had so much practice with my sweet girl turned "tantrumy" by those oh-so-terrible twos! =)